May 29, 2013

Will & Jaden Smith Open Up About Their Relationship With New York Magazine [PHOTO]


It’s no secret that Will & Jaden Smith have teamed up again for their upcoming film “After Earth”. The father-son duo posed for the cover of “New York” magazine, in which they talk about fame, family dynamics and letting go.
On planning on a third movie:
Will: If you were a student of the pattern, you’d have to say we’re going to do another one. Jaden: I definitely would do another one, absolutely. You know, how Johnny Depp and Tim Burton always do movies together, Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio? We’ll have a relationship like that.
On separate relationship from your father-son relationship: It’s kind of like father and son, except that we’re both going to work together. [Points to his dad.] Like you worked in your family business with your dad. I’m just working in my family business with my dad. Patterns, boom.
Well, with the first movie [Pursuit of Happyness], he was teaching me along the way. This is how the camera works. You do several takes. Like, literally everything you need to know about movies. And then, in Karate Kid, he was kind of holding my hand and watching me distill those rules. And then on After Earth,he was like, All right, you’re an actor, I’m an actor, let’s make a movie together.So it was like a collaboration, you know what I’m saying?
On how the dynamic is with the whole family on the set: Jaden: Willow basically does her thing. [They both laugh.] Dad kind of just is there. He has to feel his own vibe. And my mom is probably like, “Uh-uh. Tell Jaden he needs to do this.” Will: Yeah, Jada [Pinkett Smith] has really powerful insights and opinions about everything.
On how Jaden feels to be famous:
I think it’s fun, except when people make up stuff about you. Then it’s not so much fun. But besides that, I enjoy it.
On Parenting:
It is the excruciating parental pain of having to let your kids go, and you just have to hope that the lessons you’ve instilled will kick in at the right time… we don’t own our children, you know. They own themselves.

No comments: